Nature | Earth
Most of the world has come to halt because of this pandemic. There are little to no vehicles on the road. Factories are being closed. Employees are working from home. The majority of the population are being quarantined at their home. And, because of that, Earth is recovering. Air pollution is slowing down. Water pollution is clearing up. Natural wildlife returning home.
Some of the after-effects of coronavirus:
1. The water flowing through the canals of Venice, Italy (Worst hit by COVID-19) is clear for the first time in forever. The fishes are visible, the swans have returned. It’s reported that even the dolphins are back at the shore in some parts of Italy because ferries and other boats no longer disturb them.
2. Study shows that Wuhan Coronavirus Lockdown Likely Saved 77,000 Lives In China Just By Reducing Pollution
See the below changes brought upon by the COVID pandemic:
COVID-19 reduces economic activity, which reduces pollution, which saves lives.
4. Air pollution plunges in New York as people stay at home and traffic is cut by over a third in coronavirus crisis.
5. People are going vegetarian which in a long run, is good for health.
6. People are adopting good manners of washing hands, avoid shaking hands (Namaste FTW!!), not sneezing openly without any regard for their surroundings.
7. People adopting a much more efficient and resource-saving “Work from Home” policy. Less carbon footprint from travelling. Less energy and resource consumption. Less effort. More work.
8. The largest Arctic ozone hole ever recorded is now closed.
Humanity in Humans
Another BIG thing I’ve noticed is this. People say that humanity in humans is no longer alive. Society is becoming capitalist, focusing only on the rich. But I don’t think that’s true.
When faced with an event that can negatively affect the world, when there are billions of lives on the line, as we can see in the current COVID situation, no matter what religion, demographic, race, sex, class they belong to, certain people have proved that they are better than the world perceives them to be.
The world has severely been affected by COVID, however, the kind of help coming from people, companies/organizations, the government is unprecedented. It’s like we have become a global hivemind, sharing resources with each other without any selfish intentions.
- Researchers, companies, individuals have open-sourced the information that can help the world defeat this pandemic, free of cost to literally anyone.
- Unity and support have overshadowed Negative Politics from the governments. Billions are being poured for the benefit of regular people. From free tests to shelter to clothes. The people we once thought corrupt are now helping the poor in any way they can and as much as possible.
- For-profit organizations have made all their tools free to help startups, SMBs, and individuals to mitigate the financial effect of this pandemic.
- People around the world are volunteering to help each other so that we can collectively defeat this virus.
- Entrepreneurs are building solutions through weekly global hackathons to support emergency line heroes.
This is the first time in my entire life, I’ve seen community-centric support of this scale, happening without any selfish intentions, but just for the benefit of humanity. This fills my heart. And, now we have proved that we are much much better than we thought. And, I genuinely think we now have a chance to make the world a lot better place than what we had before this pandemic.
It’s nice to know that there’s always a silver lining in these kinds of things. And, maybe humans will learn from this pandemic and start adopting better practices that prevent anything remotely close to this from ever happening.